Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Lord's table (9) - the Last Supper (continued)

I've been asked to write some more material on the theme of our Lord's table fellowship practices, especially in relation to the 'Last Supper'.

I plan to write something on 3 things in particular:

1. Who was at the last supper? It's important to answer this question because some people claim that the intimacy of the occasion, the limited number (our Lord and 12 'guests'), and the secrecy surrounding the preparation of the meal indicate that when it comes to celebrating communion our Lord set an example of exclusivism (which should consequently be imitated by the church, so the argument goes). This flies in the face of Jesus' pattern of inclusivism, so the question of who was there is important.

2. The Last Supper and the sacraments. Did Jesus intend that bread and wine should be used as sacraments? What was the reason for using these two 'emblems' and how should the church observe communion today?

3. This was obviously no ordinary meal. So what was so special about it, why was it different, and how, and what are we meant to learn from it?

I'm going to be very busy next week so I will try to post as much as I can beforehand. My apologies in advance if I don't get to write much. I also haven't forgotten the other series I've started but not yet finished. It will all come together, eventually, by God's grace.

No comments: